Best Sunglasses for Driving
5 Factors to Consider as You’re Shopping
Do you spend a lot of time behind the wheel — either on your commute or for pleasure? If so, you know the difference a good pair of sunglasses can make when it comes to a safe, comfortable drive. But how do you select the best sunglasses for driving? Here are five things to look for:
- Polarized lenses. The most important feature in a pair of driving sunglasses is polarization. Polarized sunglasses eliminate the glare that can make driving not just uncomfortable but also unsafe. Every pair of Maui Jim polarized sunglasses blocks 99.9% of glare, so you can drive without squinting, eye fatigue, watery eyes or headaches. Bonus: They also block 100% of all harmful UV rays to protect your eyes from long-term damage.
- Lightweight material. Comfort matters, especially on long drives. You don’t want sunglasses that weigh you down, dig into your nose or constantly slide down your face. But clarity matters, too, so consider lenses with materials like SuperThin Glass, which provides the absolute crispest optics available yet is 20-32% thinner and lighter than standard glass, or the ultra lightweight MauiPure®.
- Lens protection. Let’s face it: driving sunglasses take a lot of abuse. Whether you drop them on the floor or shove them in a glove compartment or cup holder, they run the risk of damage. That’s why lens protection is an important factor. All Maui Jim sunglasses feature a proprietary treatment on the front and back of the lens to prevent scratches. Exclusive coatings also shed water, repel grease and make smudges easy to wipe away — so you’ll always have an unobstructed view of the road. (We also include a case and clean cloth with every pair.)
- Versatile style. As you’re shopping for the best sunglasses for driving, look for a pair that transitions easily from the car to the beach, golf course, hiking trail or wherever you’re headed. With nearly 200 styles to choose from, you’re sure to find the perfect pair of Maui Jim polarized sunglasses. Aviators like Mavericks or a classic pair like Koko Head will save you from having to pack two pairs of sunglasses everywhere you go.
- Color and mirror options. One lens doesn’t fit all, so keep an eye out for options that are ideal for driving. Our HCL® Bronze lenses, for example, are great for changing light conditions, while Maui Rose® provides the protection you’re looking for in everything from full sun to overcast conditions. You can even choose fashion mirrors like Blue Hawaii, MAUI Sunrise and MAUIGreen that offer the same amount of clarity in a stylish look.
Here’s another way to choose the best sunglasses for driving — and get exactly what you want. Take advantage of MyMaui customization. First, choose a frame style you love. Next, click the “Customize” button to select frame color, any available lens and even fashion mirrors. Then, get ready to hit the open road in style!
Ready to grab your pair of Mavericks Aviator Sunglasses?