How to Maintain Your Glasses
5 Tips to Protect Your Investment
We drop them. We smudge them. We stick them into purses and pockets. We tuck them in collars and on top of our heads. In other words, we put our sunglasses through a lot of abuse! Do you know how to maintain your glasses so they’ll serve you well for years? Start with these five tips:
- Wash with warm water. Good cleaning practices don’t just remove spots and smudges; they also get rid of the dirt and particles that cause scratches. That’s why it pays to rinse your sunglasses daily in warm water. If water alone won’t do the trick, use a mild liquid dish soap to clean the lens surface. Just be sure to avoid abrasive cleaners, soaps or detergents that may leave a deposit.
- Dry with a soft, absorbent cloth. Never use paper-based products, which can scratch the lens, or tissues with lotion, lanolin, silicone or other cleaners, which can leave a film. A clean cloth, like the one included with every pair of Maui Jim polarized sunglasses, is a great way to maintain your glasses. Wash your clean cloth frequently in warm, soapy water (don’t use fabric softener) so it stays free of debris, dirt and oils.
- Rinse off hard water. The water you find in pools or coming out of lawn sprinklers is typically “hard,” meaning it contains high levels of dissolved minerals like calcium and magnesium. Hard water, just like salt water, can leave white spots on your lenses as it dries. To remove those spots, just follow steps 1 and 2 above, making sure you’re using filtered (tap) water.
- Avoid excessive heat. Did you know that very hot temperatures can deteriorate lenses or lead to misshapen frames? Try not to leave your sunglasses in places where the temperature can rise to extremes, like the dashboard of your car or in a sunny windowsill. Keep them in their protective case instead — that will also help you avoid drops and scratches.
- Stay away from chemicals. Nail polish remover, glass cleaner, hair sprays with methylene, chlorine and glue are just a few of the common household chemicals that can damage your sunglasses. Keep these items away from your frames and lenses!
At Maui Jim, we don’t want you to worry about how to maintain your glasses. That’s why our polarized sunglasses feature a proprietary scratch-resistance treatment on both the front and back, along with special lens coatings that repel grease, shed water and snow, and make it easy to wipe away smudges and fingerprints. It’s also why we include a clean cloth and protective case with every pair.