Tips for Keeping Your Sunglasses Perfect
5 Ways to Protect Your Investment
We put our sunglasses through a lot of abuse — dropping them, smudging them, shoving them into pockets and purses, and setting them down in odd places. Keeping your glasses looking good and protecting your eyes for the long term isn’t difficult, though. Just follow these tips for keeping your sunglasses perfect:
- Wash with warm water. Rinsing your sunglasses once a day in warm water removes spots and smudges and helps get rid of the dirt and particles that cause scratches. If water alone isn’t enough, try a mild liquid dish soap to clean the lens surface. Avoid abrasive cleaners, soaps or detergents that may leave a deposit.
- Dry with a soft, absorbent cloth. A clean cloth, like the one included with every pair of Maui Jim polarized sunglasses, is ideal. Wash your clean cloth often in warm, soapy water (no fabric softener) to keep it free of debris, dirt and oils. Never use paper-based products, which can scratch the lens, or tissues with lotion, lanolin, silicone or other cleaners, which can leave a film.
- Rinse off hard water. Hard water — found in pools or lawn sprinklers — contains high levels of dissolved minerals like calcium and magnesium. Like salt water, it can leave white spots on your lenses as it dries. To remove them, follow steps 1 and 2 above, making sure you’re using filtered (tap) water.
- Avoid excessive heat. Very hot temperatures can deteriorate lenses or bend frames out of shape. That’s why it’s important not to leave your sunglasses in places where the temperature can rise to extremes, like the dashboard of your car or in a sunny windowsill. Keep them in their protective case instead — that will also help you avoid drops and scratches.
- Stay away from chemicals. Common household chemicals like nail polish remover, glass cleaner, hair sprays with methylene, chlorine and glue can all damage your sunglasses. Keep these items away from your frames and lenses!
In addition to offering these tips for keeping your sunglasses perfect, Maui Jim designs our polarized sunglasses to be worry-free. Every pair features a proprietary scratch-resistance treatment on both the front and back, along with special lens coatings that repel grease, shed water and snow, and make it easy to wipe away smudges and fingerprints.
We also include a clean cloth and protective case with every pair. Do you need a replacement or a backup to help with keeping your sunglasses perfect? Shop for a care kit, clean cloth, case or retainer cords that keep your sunglasses secure while you’re wearing them.